I have a confession...I am NOT a Thanksgiving person. I know... blasphemous! Hear me out though. I believe it's a gluttonous holiday. You slave and stress over preparing all this food that costs a fortune, eat until you make yourself sick, and then have a figure out what to do with all of the leftovers. “But it's a time to be with family,” people say. I am very close with my immediate family and see them every Friday night during football season. My son played varsity football for three years; my daughter has been in drill team for fours years; and my step-son is in band. Friday night lights have been a tradition for the last six years and will be for at least the next three years. My boyfriend doesn't do Thanksgiving because he is by far the pickiest eater I've ever met and doesn't like the food. My kids go to their dad’s family for the holiday, and my step-kids go to their moms. No stress!
I've always said that I wanted to give thanks by serving others. When my boyfriend and I first started dating, we discussed how we felt about Thanksgiving. I told him that I wanted to serve others on Thanksgiving, and he agreed. I was SO excited. I called the local homeless shelter, but they didn't need help. This year at church our pastor announced that they were looking for volunteers to serve breakfast at the homeless shelter this year. We jumped at the chance.
My step-son went with us this morning. I didn't do much but serve drinks and pick up trays when people were finished eating, but my heart was so full this morning. When they thanked me, I found myself saying, “My pleasure.” And it truly was. One man stopped me and told me his story. He just wanted someone to listen to him. My boyfriend, step-son, and I decided to make this a tradition from now on. It was such a humbling experience and not at all what I thought it would be. It truly brought joy to my heart.
And after that? My boyfriend and I went Christmas shopping. It doesn't sound right, does it? To go serve others and then go spend our money? Christmas is our favorite holiday. We go all out. This year will be my daughter's last Christmas at home, and she has the opportunity to travel to Finland the day after Christmas. My step-son has the opportunity to go on a cruise over Spring Break with his high school band. That's their Christmas. We bought a few things for my step-daughter and things for the house. Last year we bought electronics. This year, we bought things we needed for the house.
Our first stop was JCPenney's, and it was a haul! We bought boots for my step-daughter, new dishes, bath towels, a new crockpot, and matching down comforters for the master bedroom (there's a story there for later).
My crockpot is so old, it's crazy!
And then we faced the madness known as Walmart. Oh my! I had my game plan though, and my boyfriend, who is such a good sport, scoped out everything while I waited in one spot for an item that we knew would go quickly. We were in and out in an hour with everything we went for.
A new trash can because our old one was gross!
A heater for my daughter's garage converted bedroom.
My boyfriend's new toy...lol!
And a storage ottoman for the foot of our bed. Now I have a place to put my shoes on!
This may be the last time we physically go out to shop on Black Friday because I also found some gifts online. It's just so much easier.
And now my Christmas shopping is almost done. My bank account is certainly telling me I am. How did you spend your day? I hope it was wonderful doing whatever makes you happy and thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment